Traveling to/from Mumbai domestic airport and international airport.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (BOM) is a prominent international airport catering to Mumbai and the surrounding Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR). Ranked as the country’s second busiest airport, it handles substantial total and international passenger traffic, following Delhi Airport closely.
- 1 How to transfer from domestic to international terminal in Mumbai?
- 2 How much time required from t1 to T2 Mumbai Airport?
- 3 How far is Mumbai domestic airport from international airport?
- 4 How soon should I reach to Mumbai Airport for international flight?
- 5 How much time it takes to change terminal in Mumbai Airport?
- 6 Is Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport T1 or t2?
Mumbai Airport, officially known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (BOM), is one of the busiest airports in India and a major gateway to the country. Handling millions of passengers every year, Mumbai Airport offers a range of amenities, including shopping outlets, dining options, lounges, and duty-free stores. It serves as a hub for both domestic and international flights, connecting travelers to various destinations worldwide. Whether you are arriving in Mumbai for business or leisure, the airport ensures a seamless travel experience with its modern facilities and efficient services.
How to transfer from domestic to international terminal in Mumbai?
How can I transfer from T1 to T2 in Mumbai Airport?
Transferring from the domestic to international terminal at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (BOM) in Mumbai is a straightforward process. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Check your connecting flight: First, ensure that your connecting flight is departing from the international terminal (Terminal 2). Most international flights operate from Terminal 2, but it’s always best to double-check your ticket or with your airline to confirm.
Arrival at Domestic Terminal (Terminal 1 T1):
If you arrive at the domestic terminal (Terminal 1), follow the signs for baggage claim and exit. Once you exit the terminal, you will find prepaid taxi services, app-based cab services, and airport shuttle buses that can take you to the international terminal.
Note: It’s advisable to avoid using a rickshaw to reach Mumbai Airport Terminal 2 because the drop-off point is quite distant.
- Taxi: You can hire a taxi or use app-based cab services like Uber or Ola to reach Terminal 2. The taxi stand is located just outside the domestic terminal.
- Airport Shuttle: The airport provides shuttle bus services between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Look for the designated shuttle bus stop outside the terminal. These buses run at regular intervals and are a convenient way to transfer terminals.
- Walking: If you have sufficient time and prefer to walk, there is a pedestrian walkway connecting the domestic and international terminals. However, this option is feasible only if you have minimal luggage and are comfortable walking the distance.
Arrival at International Terminal (Terminal 2 T2):
To transfer from the international terminal to the domestic terminal in Mumbai, follow these steps:
- Clear Customs and Immigration: Upon arrival at the international terminal (Terminal 2), complete the necessary customs and immigration procedures.
- Collect Your Baggage: Retrieve your checked baggage, if any, from the designated carousel in the international arrivals hall.
- Exit the International Terminal: After collecting your luggage, proceed towards the exit of Terminal 2.
- Transport Options: Outside the international terminal, you will find various transportation options, including airport shuttles, taxis, and car services. These services can take you to the domestic terminal (Terminal 1) of Mumbai Airport.
- Traveling to the Domestic Terminal: Choose a mode of transportation that suits your preference and budget. Airport shuttles are a convenient and budget-friendly option. Taxis and car services provide a more personalized and direct transfer experience.
- Arriving at Terminal 1: Once you reach Terminal 1, proceed to the check-in counters for your domestic flight. Make sure to check the flight information displays for your airline and departure gate.
- Security Check and Boarding: After completing the check-in process, proceed through security check and follow the signs to your departure gate. Board your domestic flight as per the airline’s instructions.
Always allow ample time for the transfer, especially if you have to collect checked baggage at the domestic terminal or if you’re traveling during peak hours. It’s advisable to check with your airline or the airport’s official website for any updates or changes related to terminal transfers.
How much time required from t1 to T2 Mumbai Airport?
The travel time between Terminal 1 (domestic terminal) and Terminal 2 (international terminal) at Mumbai Airport can vary based on the mode of transportation and traffic conditions. On average, it takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes to travel between the two terminals by road, considering normal traffic.
However, it’s important to note that traffic congestion in Mumbai can be unpredictable, and delays may occur during peak travel hours or due to other factors. To ensure a smooth transfer between terminals, it’s advisable to plan your journey with some buffer time, especially if you have a connecting flight.
Additionally, the airport provides shuttle services and prepaid taxi options that can help streamline the transfer process. It’s recommended to inquire about these services at the airport or check with airport staff for the most current information and assistance.
How far is Mumbai domestic airport from international airport?
Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (BOM) has both a domestic and an international terminal. The distance between the domestic terminal (Terminal 1) and the international terminal (Terminal 2) is approximately 5 to 6 kilometers (3 to 4 miles) by road, depending on the specific route taken. Travel time between these terminals can vary based on traffic conditions and the mode of transportation used, typically taking around 15 to 20 minutes under normal traffic conditions.
How soon should I reach to Mumbai Airport for international flight?
For international flights, it is generally recommended to arrive at the airport at least 3 to 4 hours before your scheduled departure time.
This allows sufficient time for check-in, security checks, immigration clearance, and any potential delays. However, it’s always a good idea to check with your airline for specific recommendations, as some airlines and destinations might have different requirements. Additionally, factors such as traffic conditions and the time of day should be considered when planning your journey to the airport. It’s advisable to leave early to account for any unexpected delays and ensure a stress-free travel experience.
How much time it takes to change terminal in Mumbai Airport?
The time it takes to change terminals at Mumbai Airport (from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 or vice versa) can vary based on several factors such as the mode of transportation, traffic conditions, and the distance between the terminals. On average, it takes approximately 20-30 minutes to travel between the terminals by shuttle bus, depending on traffic.
It’s important to note that the airport authorities provide shuttle bus services to facilitate the transfer between terminals. These buses operate at regular intervals and help passengers move from one terminal to another. It’s recommended to check the current schedule and plan your journey accordingly to ensure a smooth transfer between terminals. Additionally, consider arriving at the airport with sufficient time in hand to account for any unforeseen delays and ensure a stress-free transition.
Is Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport T1 or t2?
The airport operates through two main terminals dedicated to scheduled commercial passenger services:
- Terminal 1 [T1]: located at Santacruz, serves domestic flights
- Terminal 2 [T2]: situated at Sahar, caters to both international and domestic flights
Mumbai Airport Transfers (BOM)
Is there any restrictions to travel to India?